Maytag Bravos XL is considered the most user-friendly, fast-drying, and good-quality dryer when it comes to choosing a dryer. Despite its myriad benefits, sometimes Maytag Bravos XL dryers may fail as every dryer can. Thus, there is a need to know about troubleshooting basics to fix these issues.
The six problems that arise with the Maytag Bravos XL dryer may include it won’t start, struggling with drying completely, squealing, overheating, or does not spin. This blog is all about fixing these problems in an effective way. Moreover, we will explore the potential problems with Maytag Bravos XL Dryer and their possible fixes.
1. My Maytag Bravos XL dryer won’t start
We will discuss potential explanations if your Maytag Bravos XL dryer does not start, which are illustrated below:
Power Issues: There could be power issues with your dryer if it’s not starting anyway. There is a chance it does not even receive the power. There can be several reasons which are discussed below:
Malfunctioned electric socket: The faulty electric socket may be the reason why your dryer doesn’t get any power. It can be tested by using a multimeter in a way that the electric socket will be checked for continuity of current and fix it if you find it defective.
Faulty power cord: this can be detected by using a multimeter to test the power cord. It might be inspected as it can be worn out or may get any breakage. You may substitute it if it looks faulty or defective. You can also make sure whether it is plugged in properly or not.
The circuit breaker may be tripped: You may check the circuit breaker as it may be tripped because of a deficient power supply.
Blown thermal fuse: There could be a condition that the fuse will be blown up if the dryer overheats. You may perform a continuity test by using a multimeter and substitute it if the continuity test fails.
Imperfectly latched dryer door: Check whether you accurately latch your dryer door or not as it can be the reason why the dryer struggles with starting.
Engaged control lock: You may check the display panel of the dryer to ensure whether the control lock is on or off. If it is on, try to turn it off. It may be the reason your dryer won’t start.
Incorrect setting: Check the setting of your Maytag Bravos XL dryer if it is right or wrong. Rather, you may go for normal, automatic, or timed drying, based on the laundry.
Malfunctioned dryer components: The defect of any feature described below may cause your Maytag Bravos XL dryer to not start:
- Switch: the malfunction of the start switch, belt switch, or door switch may result in this issue. You may apply a continuity test by using a multimeter and substitute it if it is faulty.
- Timer: A correct message to the control board of the dryer may not be received if the timer is faulty which may result in not starting the dryer. It is another feature of the dryer that needs to be replaced if the multimeter fails to detect a fault.
- Defective driver motor: You should replace the drive motor if it is noisy or burnt.
- Smashed drive belt: A splintered drive belt might be the reason behind if your dryer does not start or spin. You ought to substitute it if it is smashed or broken.
- Main control board: if you find all the above dryer components are working normally, but you still can’t find the reason your dryer is not starting. You should have to substitute the main control board. Before doing this, you should have to consult an expert and let that person examine it completely.
2. Maytag Bravos XL dryer won’t dry entirely or takes much time to dry
There are conditions in which your Maytag Bravos XL dryer fails to dry your clothes efficiently or it may take a lot of time to reach the desired dryness level. These conditions may include the following reasons which are described below:
Obstruction of lint screen, air vent, link filter, or blower wheel: The dryer may not work properly and does not dry the laundry completely or takes too much time if the lint screen, link filter, air vent, or blower wheel may be obstructed because of lint or dirt. You may check them, and clean them properly.
Putting a large load: Putting a large load in your dryer may restrict drying your laundry completely. You have to reduce the load to make it work out efficiently.
Malfunctioned dryer components: the fault in dryer components can result in this issue, which may include:
- Thermistor: A faulty thermostat will never monitor the drying temperature, which may cause the dryer to not heat up. You need to test it with a multimeter and replace it if you find this issue.
- Gas valve solenoid: A malfunctioned gas valve solenoid may restrict the gas supply to the burner, which results in interrupting the dryer from drying. It can be tested by using a multimeter and replacing it.
- Moisture sensor: If your dryer’s moisture sensor indicates that the clothes are dry but actually they aren’t, then it is malfunctioning. Therefore, you need to replace it immediately.
3. Maytag Bravos XL dryer unable to Heat
Occasionally, your Maytag Bravos XL dryer may start but is unable to heat up. The reasons behind this situation are:
Power issues: you may use tips that are shared earlier in this blog to check and solve the issue regarding malfunctioned circuit breakers, thermal fuses, power cords, and electric outlets.
Burnt heating element: A burnt heating element results in your dryer not heating up anyway. You should have to swap it if it shows the indication of being burnt.
Worn-out components: If one of these parts is faulty, your dryer will never heat:
- Cycling or high-limit thermostat: A defective cycling or high-limit thermostat will result in shutting down the dryer’s burner, resulting in it not heating. So you have to test it by using a multimeter and swap it immediately.
- Gas valve solenoid: A defective gas valve solenoid always prevents gas flow, ultimately restricting the dryer from heating. Therefore, you need to swap it if it fails the continuity test.
- Thermistor: A damaged thermistor will cause the dryer to not heat up, use a multimeter to do a continuity test and ultimately replace it if it is defective.
- Igniter: A defective igniter results in no burning or ignition. If it fails the continuity test on the multimeter then replace it.
- Timer: Although timer is the least case scenario in this situation. If it fails the continuity test on the multimeter, substitute it straight away.
- Flame sensor: A defective flame sensor will never sense any heat the flame releases. Consequently, the dryer won’t heat. You should have to substitute it if it fails the continuity test on the multimeter.
- Main control: If the above components are not faulty then most probably the main control is malfunctioning. You need to consult an expert and replace it if it’s defective.
4. Overheated Dryer
Sometimes, the Maytag Bravos XL might be overheated because of overdoing it. If you are struggling with this issue, the following reasons may justify it:
Defective cycling or high-limit thermostat: A faulty thermostat impels the dryer to hold on to the heat for long periods of time. Use the multimeter to test the cycling and high-limit thermostat and substitute it immediately.
Partially short-circuited heating element: It will result in continuously heating beyond the acceptable limit, consequently overheating the dryer. You have to replace it immediately.
Clogged blower wheel: Lint or clothes might cause the blower wheel to clog which causes the dryer to overheat. You have to find that obstruction and get rid of it.
Faulty felt seal: The missing or defective felt seal preserves heat in the drum, which results in overheating of the dryer. You need to examine it and swap it.
5. Maytag Bravos XL unable to spin
The following reasons can be behind if your dryer does not spin after powering up:
Smashed dryer belt: A dryer belt that is broken or frayed won’t spin the dryer until you swap it.
Overheating of the drive motor: The drive belt won’t turn if the drive motor is overheated. So you have to replace it then it will spin normally.
Wrong setting: The mistakenly selected the wrong cycle may result in stopping your dryer to spin normally. Therefore, check the setting again and make sure it is correct. You may choose normal for saving energy, automatic drying to regularly cycle the dryer, and timed drying for clothes that require an extended time to get dry.
Faulty Components: If one of these parts is worn out then the dryer will never spin:
- Drum roller: the drum faces a hard time turning if the drum roller is faulty. It can be fixed by replacing it right away.
- Drum glides: As we know the drum slides on the glide, it is unable to do it if the glides malfunction somehow. In this case, you have to substitute it.
- Drum bearing: the malfunctioned drum bearing interrupts the drum spinning. If it is worn out or rusty, make a replacement immediately.
- Idler pulley: if the idler pulley is either worn out or stuck, the dryer will never spin anyway. You have to swap it to make it work well.
6. Maytag Bravos XL Screeching
There could be the following possibilities if your Maytag Bravos XL is squealing.
Defective or frayed drive belt: A frayed or broken drive belt will cause a squealing noise in your dryer while turning. If you find this out, you will need to replace it right away.
Damaged slides, bearing, drum, or idler pulley: if one of these parts is worn out such as slides, drum, bearing, or idler pulley, the dryer may start squealing. Therefore, you need to examine these components and do a replacement if they are needed.
Thermal Fuse Problems in Maytag Bravos XL Dryer
From all the above discussion, you might have the perception that a dryer that struggles with not starting or overheating is correlated with a blown-up or blazed fuse, although it is not a probable reason.
When the Maytag dryer heats up, consequently the thermal fuse blows up to prevent it from damage. Therefore, if it gets blown up, the dryer will never start or heat. You may apply a continuity test by using a multimeter and do a replacement if it utterly needs it.
A. You may reset your Maytag Bravos XL dryer by simply unplugging its power wire for a minute. You may press ‘power/cancel’, choose a cycle, and then press start if your dryer does not reset when you plug the cable back.
A. You can find the thermal fuse of your dryer on either the burner, heating element or the blower housing, depending on the model you use. Therefore, before finding the thermal fuse, you should consult the manual book of your Maytag dryer.
A. Your Maytag Bravos XL dryer is unable to start because the circuit breaker, electric socket, thermal fuse, power cord, or start switch is malfunctioning. There could be other reasons which may include an imperfectly latched door, a control lock function, or a defective switch, main control, drive belt, timer, or drive motor.