In the realm of home appliances, a Maytag washer ensures that the user wash their clothes safely. It does this by employing inbuilt safety features. One of these protective mechanisms is a lid lock switch.
It ensures that the lid of the appliance remains locked when the washer is operating. However, sometimes this lid switch starts malfunctioning. Consequently, the consumer becomes more interested in bypassing the lid lock.
But there might also be some other reasons, like maintaining the washer or accessing its internal components. No matter what the reason is, just keep in mind that this procedure needs caution and safety while doing it. This guide aims to help you do this safely by providing you the step-by-step instructions for this bypass procedure.
Note: Attempting to tamper with the safety mechanisms of the Maytag washer might be risky. Therefore, take all protective measures and proceed with responsibility.
6 Steps to Deactivate the Lid Lock on a Maytag Washer
Disabling the lid switch of a Maytag washer is not a hard task until you follow the instructions carefully. The good news is that you don’t have to spend even a penny to perform this process. Besides this, deactivating the lid lock will give you a flexible and convenient washing experience. So gird up your loin and follow these 6 easy and simple steps to bypass the lid lock:
Step 1 – Turn off the Power
Your safety comes first. Therefore, the first and most important step is to disconnect the power supply from the washer. For this purpose, identify the main power cable of the appliance.
Once done, unplug the power cord from the wall socket or the power extension. If you can’t do this, you can also turn off the main power circuit breaker. This step is crucial because it will help you prevent electric shocks and other potential hazards of sudden surges of power in the appliance.
Step 2 – Locate the Switch
To find the lid lock switch in the Maytag washer, you can use the instructions given in the user manual. If you are having trouble locating the switch, follow this process:
- Clear the top cover of the washing machine. Find the screws or nuts securing it. Once detected, take a screwdriver and open all the bolts carefully.
- After opening the nuts, take off the top lid slowly. Now find the lid lock switch. It is either below the lid or on the top of the washer’s cabinet.
- Now, do a visual inspection of the location of the lid lock. Examine the assembly of wires surrounding it. Once done, move to the next step.
Step 3 – Disconnect the Wires
For successful step-by-step disabling of the lid lock, it is crucial to follow each step carefully. This step of disconnecting the wires of the lid lock is highly crucial. Therefore, proceed with caution and follow these instructions:
- Wear safety gloves and protect your hands properly.
- In the previous step, you might have accessed the lid switch and identified its wires. In case you are confused, see the blue or red coloured wires around it.
- Now, using a multimeter, test the continuity of these wires to see if the lid switch is locked or unlocked. This is essential because if you bypass the locked lid switch, it will disturb the functioning of the lid switch or may cause potential hazards.
- If the multimeter shows that the lid switch is unlocked, take a plier. Now, with slight pressure on the wire terminals, disconnect them. Don’t forget to be cautious while doing this.
Step 4 – Bypass the Lid Lock
In reality, a lid lock switch signals the Maytag washer that the lid is locked by completing a circuit. When you are bypassing the lid lock, you are mimicking the washer so that the lid is closed even when it isn’t. In other words, you form a fake closed-circuit condition. Consequently, the washer believes that the door is closed and lets the internal components function smoothly. Hence, to bypass the lid, use these tricks:
- Take a spare short piece of wire. Strip both ends using a screwdriver or plier.
- After this, take out the wires of the lid switch that you have detached in the previous step.
- Now, the detached wires of the lid and the spare piece of wire form a short circuit.
Step 5 – Insulate the Closed Circuit
To prevent the closed circuit from opening and for safety purposes, you have to insulate it. For this, you have to choose the insulation material according to the situation of the wires. You can use a wire nut, a connector, electrical tape, or heat-shrinking. Once selected, insulate the wires properly.
Step 6 – Reassemble all the Components
Put the closed circuit back into its place. Cover the control panel with the lid. Tighten up the screws to secure the door. After reassembling all the parts, plug the power cord of the washer back into the socket. Now test the Maytag washer to see if it is working smoothly. Check the lid should be open while operating. If it is open, then the lid lock switch has successfully bypassed. Enjoy the flexible and convenient washing experience!
Bypass Lid Switch of Different Models Of Maytag Washer
This guide also aims at providing you with the opportunity to explore alternative methods to bypass the lid switch of different models of Maytag washers. As different models have different constructions, each of them has its unique features. Therefore, there are a few differences in the procedure for bypassing the lid switch. Let’s delve into the deep understanding of this:
Maytag Bravos Xl Washer
The Maytag Bravos XL washer has a different construction. It is typically because it has its lid in front of its body rather than at the top. Therefore, to bypass its lid switch follow these steps:
- Unplug the power cord from the electricity source. Locate the lid lock. In this model, it is present below the front door covering.
- After locating the switch, remove the front lid. Now, take the lid switch out and disconnect all its wires.
- In this model, there is a magnetic sensor that needs to be bypassed. So, attach the wires to the lid. Secure it with the tape and reassemble everything.
Maytag Centennial Washer
Another model of the Maytag washer that has a lid lock switch feature is the Maytag Centennial washer. To deactivate the lid switch of this model, you have to follow the following instructions:
- Turn off the power supply of the washer and find where the lid switch is located. Use the user manual for this purpose.
- After successful searching, bring the lid lockout. Now, deactivate the magnetic sensor of this switch by cutting the connection of its wires.
- Use a wire or a connector to prevent them from reconnecting.
- Put all the things back into their places.
Maytag Commercial Washer
This model of the Maytag washer has almost the same construction as the above two models. Therefore, the instructions for bypassing the lid lock switch of this model are also alike. Just make sure that you are taking all the precautionary measures and follow the above-mentioned steps carefully. Also, don’t forget to insulate the wires to protect yourself and your children from getting into contact with open terminals of wires.
3 Risks of Deactivating the Lid Lock of a Maytag Washer
Disabling the lid lock switch of a Maytag washer is an easy process. However, it comes with its potential risks and disadvantages. This article highlights the three most common risks of this process. Having an insight into these potential risks is essential. This will give you enough ideas so you can make an informed decision about doing it. Let us delve into the topic:
One of the most potential risks of bypassing the lid lock of a Maytag washer is the safety outcomes associated with it. The lid switch is the safety feature of the appliance that prevents the washer from coming into contact with the outside environment. When you bypass it, the lid of the washer remains unlocked while operating.
This can pose the danger of injuries and life hazards. Moreover, while functioning the washer, there are more chances of water spillage on the surrounding floor. This can lead to slipping on the ground. Furthermore, it can also jeopardize the safety of children.
Maytag offers a warranty for all the washers it sells. When you deactivate the lid switch, you are taking the risk of depreciating the warranty of the washer. This happens because instead of maintaining, you tamper with the original structure of the appliance.
If, after the deactivation of the lid lock, any issue occurs with the appliance Maytag will refuse to provide assistance based on the conditions of the warranty. Moreover, you will also not get the replacement or repairs for these tampered parts. Therefore, it is essential to consider the risk of deactivating this safety device as it could compromise the warranty.
Bypassing the door lock of the washer poses the chances of damage to the appliance itself as the lid is essential to create a barrier between the user and the washer. So, it is an essential safety mechanism offered by the washing machine. When you deactivate this mechanism, you don’t know that you are damaging the appliance.
For instance, it can cause sudden stopping of the appliance. Moreover, it can also result in putting mechanical pressure on the washer. In addition to this, it can disrupt the working of the washer. As a result, you have to spend a lot of money on repairs to the appliance.
In conclusion, we hope that with a step-by-step procedure, this article can help you in bypassing the lid lock of the Maytag washer. Moreover, with the alternative methods to deactivate this safety mechanism, you can safely do this on the model you have. However, we don’t recommend doing this procedure with your appliance unless it is essential. But if you still want to proceed, make sure you take all the precautionary measures to prevent the potential risks of this process. Moreover, don’t try to do this unless you are highly confident about your skills.