Are you worried because your Kenmore washer is humming, not spinning? If yes, then the actual problem is not humming but not spinning. As you can relate, we all wash clothes while doing other chores at home. So, picture this:
“You turn it on by putting all the clothes in the Kenmore washer. The washer starts working with its hum, making you think the washing has started. You start doing other stuff. But when you come back to take the clothes out, you see the washer fails to deliver the spinning motion. Now, you are perplexing. The buzzing sound is making you wonder why the washer is not spinning?”
If this had what happened to you, then keep on reading this article to solve this puzzle of no spinning motion in the washer. Let’s delve deep into this situation to better understand why the Kenmore washer is only buzzing but spinning. How to fix it?
3 Reasons Kenmore Washer Is Humming, Not Spinning
In the world of household appliances, Kenmore washing machines spin tirelessly and keep your clothes clean. However, sometimes these durable washers might experience occasional malfunctioning. When your Kenmore washer just starts buzzing but fails to start spinning, there are various reasons behind it. Therefore, it is essential to identify the causes to diagnose the problem effectively.
Let’s discover 3 underlying reasons that are causing your Kenmore washer to not spin:
Clogged Drain Pump
A drain pump plays a vital part in working a Kenmore washer. Its primary function is to remove water from the washer during the drainage step of the spinning cycle. When the Kenmore washer faces the condition of blocked draining, it frustratingly starts buzzing but fails to spin.
This situation mainly arises when clothes, lint, coins, socks, or other small objects are stuck in the draining hose. Therefore, when the drainage pump clogs, the washer fails to drain the water. As a result, the washer activates the safety mechanism. This feature stops the washer from spinning further.
This is to make sure that the washer won’t spin the clothes in the used water. Moreover, the motor of the washer starts humming as it struggles to spin. Hence, the issue needs to be resolved to restore spinning. However, regular maintenance, like checking pockets for coins and cleaning lint.
One of the most common issues that cause the Kenmore washer to just create a buzzing sound without spinning is the defective motor. When the motor is malfunctioning, it fails to operate all its components to initiate the spin cycle. This malfunction can be caused by numerous factors.
These factors include a broken coupling, a damaged or unsecured drive belt, a faulty capacitor, a defective motor control board, etc. Moreover, excessive overloading can also put stress on the motor. The malfunctioning of the motor is also caused by reasons other than faulty components of the motor. It could be due to electrical issues, excessive friction in the motor, and timely wear and tear of the motor.
All these issues put a strain on the motor and prevent its normal functioning. Consequently, the motor fails to perform optimally, and due to struggling in running, it starts creating humming noise without spinning. Fixing the issues with the components of the motor can help you resolve this reason for not spinning.
Faulty Lid Switch
A lid switch is a component of the Kenmore washer, which is designed for the safety of the user. This protective electric component is used to detect whether the lid of the washer is on or off. If the lid is open, it tops the spinning of the motor by interrupting the power.
This is an essential mechanism to avoid potential hazards. Moreover, it ensures that no one reaches inside the washer when it is operating. When the lid switch of the Kenmore washer becomes faulty, it fails to detect whether the lid of the washer is opened or closed.
This failure of recognition causes the lid switch to prevent the motor from running. However, the motor tries to spin but fails. As a result, it produces buzzing but without the spinning motion. Hence, make sure that the lid switch is fine and that no debris is accumulated inside the switch.
How to Fix the Spinning of Kenmore Washers?
After you have found the reason behind the humming and no spinning of your Kenmore washer, resolve the problem. Don’t worry if you do not know how to fix them. This guide aims to help you fix the above most common reasons preventing the Kenmore washer from spinning. The following are the practical solutions to restore your washer to spinning:
Clean the Drain Pump
When the drain pump of Kenmore washer has clogged or blocked by lint, you should clean the hose. This removal of debris from the drainage hose will restore the spinning of the washer and stop humming. To clean the pump, use the following steps:
- Unplug the power cable of the washer from the socket.
- Locate the drain pump. It is either at the front or behind the washer.
- Place a cloth or towel under the drainage hose to prevent sudden water surging.
- Open the area where the pump is present. Remove the cover.
- Take out the lint filter or screen and clean it. Use a brush to do a thorough cleaning of the debris trap.
- Reassemble all the components and test the washer.
Repair the Defective Motor
You should repair the defective motor to avoid the humming of the Kenmore washer. This will also fix its spinning motion. Hence, to repair a defective motor of a Kenmore washer, use these instructions:
- First of all, turn off the power to the washer.
- Open the control panel to check the motor.
- Now do a visual inspection to see if any motor components are worn out.
- Carefully examine the motor coupling, drive belt, or carbon brushes. Check for signs of wear and tear.
- If any part has worn out, remove that part using manual instructions. Install the new part in its place.
- Also, check for the signs of short circuits, broken wires, or burnouts.
- Use a multimeter to do a continuity test. If the test is negative, remove the broken wiring or repair it.
Replace the Lid Switch
You should replace or clean the faulty lid switch to restore the optimal running of the Kenmore washer. This will also prevent the buzzing sound. Therefore, to replace the lid switch, follow these steps:
- Unplug the electricity cord of the washer from the source.
- Access the lid switch. For this, check the manual guide. It is usually located under the lid or near the edge of the opening of the washer.
- Remove the lid switch from its place. For this purpose, use fasteners to unscrew and unwind the screws or nails.
- Disconnect the wires necessary surrounding the lid switch.
- Remove the old lis switch.
- Install a new one using a manual guide.
- Reassemble everything in its place. After that, run the washer to test whether the lid switch works.
Although Kenmore washers are popular for their reliability, sometimes they start malfunctioning. It may hum and stop spinning because of a blocked drain pump, malfunctioning motor, overloading, damaged lid switch, etc. Therefore, it is essential to diagnose and fix all the problems to restore the functioning of the Kenmore washer. You can get help from professional technicians or customer support at Kenmore if needed.