The situation is quite frustrating if your Schlage keypad lock is not getting locked. Besides this, it also compromises the security concerns about your premises, causing inconvenience. Various factors can cause this problem, including low battery, improper locking, inbuilt features, etc. Whether using it at home or the office, it should provide proper safety and pose no security threats.
Therefore, you need to troubleshoot this issue to restore the optimal working of the Schlage keypad lock. In this guide, you will explore the common reasons causing the keypad lock to not operate and their possible solutions. Let’s delve into the topic so you can make sure that your keypad locks seamlessly safeguard your space.
5 Troubleshooting Techniques to Fix Malfunctioning Schlage Keypad Lock
A Schlage keypad lock is a modern solution to increase the security of your home or office. But sometimes, this electronic device starts malfunctioning, leaving your house unlocked. So, we have come up with 5 easy steps to troubleshoot this malfunctioning keypad lock. Whether it is a drained battery or faulty components, you can fix the lock by following these techniques:
Install New Batteries
A Schlage keypad lock only gets locked when the user dials the pin code. When the battery of this lock is low and completely drained, it fails to provide power to the keypad. As a result, the user can’t input the access code.
So, in simple terms, a full and optimal battery is essential for the lock to keep functioning. Therefore, one of the common troubleshooting techniques is to install a new battery in the Schlage keypad lock. Follow these simple steps to do this:
- Locate the housing of the battery. Check the user manual provided by Schlage. The battery compartment is usually located at the interior door under the lock’s keypad. Some models have it on the exterior side.
- Unclip the housing of the battery using a screwdriver. Open all the nuts and slide the cover slightly.
- Remove the old battery safely from the compartment.
- Install the new battery by following the indicated positive and negative polarity on the housing. Place it safely in the compartment.
- Now, secure the housing of the battery back into its place. Tight all the screws and seal it completely.
- Test the lock to see if the battery is working smoothly.
Turn off the Unlocked Feature (Model Schlage FE595 Only)
In the Schlage FE595 model of keypad lock, there is a convenient feature designed for the user. This feature is for consumers who want to use the door frequently without applying the pin code. When this function is enabled, the door remains unlocked for some time.
During this period, if the user tries to lock the door, they fail to do this. The reason is that the locking of doors becomes impossible for this specific time until this option is turned off. Therefore, you have to switch off this function. For this purpose, use the following instructions:
- First of all, with the help of a user manual, familiarize yourself with the programming code of the Schlage lock.
- Now, enter the coding mode on the lock. For this purpose, press the “Schlage” and “number 6” buttons. Enter the code and press the “Schlage button” again. In some cases, the method is different, so check the manual guide.
- Open the user coding menu to find the unlock feature. For this, press “number 1”. After this, the programming menu will open.
- Press “number 3” to choose the unlocked function. Again, enter the programming code and press the “Schlage button.” The unlock feature is successfully disabled.
Secure the Lock Correctly
For locking the Schlage lock, you have to secure it accurately. If you fail to do this, the modern keypad lock won’t secure the doors properly. Therefore, you should make sure that you are following the right procedure to lock the deadbolt. Here is the right way to lock the door correctly:
- Check the position of the door. Make sure it is perfectly aligned. Also, remove all the obstructions which are causing it to not lock correctly.
- Inspect the battery level of the keypad lock. Ensure that it is sufficiently charged. If the battery is damaged, replace it.
- The keypad should work smoothly. Therefore, clean all the dust that is preventing the keypad of the lock from being gently pressed.
- Examine that the strike plate is securely attached to the deadbolt hole. Position them properly so that the strike retracts completely into the hole.
- The keypad lock needs all the codes to work properly. So, if you are using any customized code, enter it again and save it.
- If you are still having trouble securing the door lock accurately, call the professional assistance of Schlage.
Reset the Settings of Lock
If troubleshooting all the above problems doesn’t fix the Schlage keypad lock, reset its settings. There must be an unknown code or bug disrupting the lock’s normal functioning. Hence, restore its default settings. Following is a process to reset these Schlage model BE365, model BE369, model FE595, and model FE575:
- Take out the user manual provided by Schlage. This will surely help you while resetting the keypad lock.
- For safety concerns, you have to cut off the power of the lock. Therefore, remove its batteries.
- Now open the user guide of Schlage to find the pin code to restore the lock. After getting the code, enter it through the keypad. It only takes a few clicks on the keypad to enter the reset code.
- If you are unable to find the reset code, you can restore it manually. In this case, you have to press the reset button with a gentle tool. You can use a paperclip for this purpose. Try doing this for at least 10 seconds or more until you see LED flashes or hear a beeping sound.
- Now that your Schlage keypad lock has successfully reset, enter all the programming codes again. You can use the desired settings now.
Use a Physical Key For Locking
This modern lock also comes with a physical key. This is for emergency purposes. Thus, when the Schlage keypad lock is not working electronically, try locking it with a physical key. This is to check if the lock’s electronic system was damaged. If the lock is working through the physical key, you have to contact the customer support of Schlage.
However, if the door is unable to lock with both the physical key and the electronic keypad, the internal mechanism is damaged. In that case, consider replacing the keypad lock. Therefore, follow this process to use a key for locking:
- Access the keyhole of the Schlage keypad lock. It is usually present below the keypad of the lock.
- Now, use the key that comes with this modern lock. Insert the physical key fully into the keyhole.
- Gently rotate the key to the right (clockwise) or left (anticlockwise), depending on the position of the door lock. Keep turning until you feel resistance. This is a signal that the door is now locking
- To confirm if the door is locking, check the deadbolt is completely secured to the door frame. This is to ensure that the lock is working.
- Now remove the key from the lock and store it carefully.
In conclusion, the Schlage keypad lock may start malfunctioning due to various reasons. In this case, you have to systematically troubleshoot and fix these issues. By following the instructions mentioned above, you can completely solve the issues with the lock. Remember to first check the electrical components of the lock.
After that, you can check whether it also stops working physically. Considering the results of these examinations, repair or replace the keypad lock. Otherwise, call professional assistance. Make sure you perform proper maintenance regularly on the lock to prevent malfunctioning.